Yields 6 + Servings
Nice and comforting on a cool crisp day, also a great partner to serve with a crispy pressed sandwich.
10 minPrep Time
6 hr, 10 Cook Time
6 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 onion #2 cone
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots #1 cone
- 3 stalks celery with leaves #2 cone
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (undrained (tomatoes seasoned in garlic in the can work well)
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 Qt. Stock Pot with Cover
- Gourmet Slow Cooker Base
- 4 Qt. Utensil with Slow Cooker Base
- Combine all ingredients except for rice, pesto, and cheese in slow-cooker, stir together. Cover and cook on medium setting 2 for 5-6 hours. Stir in instant rice. Cover and let stand for 6- 8 minutes until rice is tender. Stir in pesto. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
- Add instant rice at the end of cooking time, this is a great trick which works well with almost any slow cooker soup or stew. Try instant brown rice for a bit more nutrition.