- 3 zucchini
- ½ lb. Ground meat (lean ground beef, chicken, turkey or sausage)
- 1 med. Onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup Chopped green or red peppers (optional)
- ¼ cup Chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- ¼ cup Seasoned tomato sauce (pizza sauce, catsup, salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp. Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook ground meat and chopped onion in large skillet over medium heat until onion is soft and meat has lost its pink color. Remove to a bowl and cover lightly with a plate or cover.
- Cut zucchini in half length-wise. Using a spoon, remove the large seeds and discard. Remove some of the meat of the zucchini, leaving about ¼ inch around the edge to form a boat. Chop the removed zucchini and add to the cooked meat in the bowl; cover bowl.
- Place the zucchini in the large skillet, boat side up. Cover with vapor valve closed and cook on medium heat about 3 minutes.
- 4) While the boats are cooking, cut the tomatoes into chunks and add to the meat mixture. Add the cheese, cut peppers, and pepper. Mix lightly.
- Uncover skillet and fill the boats with the meat mixture, drain each spoonful as you fill the boats. Add the liquid remaining in the bowl to the bottom of the skillet, below the boats, for a bit of additional moisture.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the zucchini boats are tender when pierced with a fork. Lift the cover and top each boat with a bit of seasoned tomato sauce. Cover and cook 1 minute to heat the sauce.
- Use a wide spatula or two large spoons to lift the boats from the skillet to serving plate. Top each boat with some additional tomato sauce and a bit of grated cheese. Serve with hearty bread and mixed salad for a complete meal.