Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Chocolate-Bacon Topper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavor syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- 4 slices bacon (crisp-cooked, crumbled and cooled)
- In slow cooker combine the water, oats and 1 tsp. salt. Cover and cook on low-heat 5 1/2 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours. **It’s best to set it before going to sleep and then you wake up, breakfast is ready!
- For the topper, stir together syrup and dried cranberries; just before serving, stir in chocolate pieces.
- To serve, top individual servings with topper and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- To store: Store leftover oatmeal in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days. To reheat one serving, place 2/3 cup oatmeal in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 to 2 tbsp. water or milk; stir to combine. Microwave 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. (Or place oatmeal in a small saucepan, stir in 1 to 2 tbsp water or milk, and heat through on range top.)