A perfect breakfast for a cool or cold morning. This will simmer for 45 minutes and help fill the house with a great smelling breakfast!! To change things up, try different fruits in place of the dates and apples - peaches might be a great alternative.
5 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon Blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1 small apple (diced)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
- 1 Quart Sauce Pan with Cover or
- 2 Quart Sauce Pan with Cover for a double batch
- Bring water, oats, molasses, salt, dates, apple and cane sugar to a boil. Stir in cinnamon.
- Turn down to low heat and cover.
- Cook on low heat for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Cooking time can vary due to size of pan and amount of oatmeal. Rule of thumb: Fill your pots and pans at least 2/3 full of food for best results.