Yields 8 squares of sliced cornbread
Moist and flavorful cornbread. The pimentos and corn standout to make it a beautiful treat.
- 1/2 cup of unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk (or soy milk)
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbs. corn starch (mixed with 1/2 tbs. of water)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Tofutti soy sour cream)
- 3/4 cup whole kernel sweet corn
- 1/4 cup of pimentos (optional)
- 10 Inch Freedom Skillet
- Combine and mix dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil, sour cream and cornstarch. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Add sweet corn and pimentos (if using). Gently mix together.
- Spray 10 inch skillet with cooking oil. Preheat skillet on low to medium heat – about 250 degrees. Pour batter into prepared skillet. Cover. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove lid and wipe out moisture with paper towel. Replace lid. Cook until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 minutes longer.
- When corn bread is fully cooked, turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge. Invert onto a cooling rack or plate. Serve warm…DELICIOUS!